Wednesday, April 28, 2010

miss cuppie hits up magnolia bakery in manhattan

















there's no stopping a miss cuppie...



This weekend in Manhattan, Miss Cuppie hit up the one and only Magnolia Bakery, and, well, oh my goodness me, there are no words to describe this experience. Let's just put it this way: It's located in the Rockefeller Center, where NBC studios is located (so Tina Fey must go there ALL the time). Given its location, it is busy, and there are line ups out the door which, yes, Miss. Cuppie had to wait in. I felt a bit irritated by the wait, but once I got into the sweet little shop, which by the way had like a million workers icing those cuppies behind the counters to keep up with demand, I was absolutely floored by the cuteness and simplicity. The first thing I noticed was that the icing on all the lil cakes were so simple. There was nothing overly fancy here at all (as you can see by the pics). I couldn't really imagine how something so simple (even though pretty) could live up to it's insane reputation but, well, it might have been the best cupcake I have ever eaten. Ever. ESPECIALLY the "red velvet" one. The mysterious "red velvet" cupcake is apparently a blend of chocolate and vanilla batter, and it appears extra red (must be food colouring!). I was skeptical at first, but it really was insanity once the flavours hit my taste buds. And the whipped buttercream icing on top...mmm mmm mmm with gusto. When can I go back?!
My rate card for Magnolia Bakery:
Cupcake decor and aesthetic = very simple, soft colours, nothing fancy but still delicate and pretty
Cupcake variety = enough to make you second guess your final choice
Cupcake taste = oh my goodness gracious me
Cupcake icing = can i stick my face in a giant bowl of it and leave it there all day?
Shop decor = quaint, tiny, pretty; loved the patterned sugar counter (pic above)
Shop owner = no idea since it was jam packed and there were about 20 people working behind the counter!

1 comment:

joey said...

What a good Miss Cuppie post! Miss Cuppie is proud. Although I had no idea there is one in Rockefeller Center...it must be fairly new? I went to the one on Bleecker Street!